Boys and girls...

Well since I'm getting beat up here, I may as well defend my honor.

The biggest problem with installing the ac4r is the color codes used by drake
changed over production runs.

Some units use a gray wire, then next a black wire and sometimes a gray wire
with a white tracer.

the wire that goes to the radio cable carrying the the +800 volts is really
problematic.

1. orange
2. orange with white tracer
3. white with orange tracer
4. red

now, pick one! I can't write instructions that cover each and every deviation
of wiring codes, so I try and hit in the middle.

If there is a shortage wire in the kits, I send a notice that you should use
this color instead of that color.

If you have a supply with the transformer pointing the opposite way, then that
needs to be addressed.

Ooh, no threads on the transformer? Oops, you can't mount the PCB there.

I'm trying to tell someone that I don't know— if they know what end a soldering
iron get hot— and trying to installing a  retrofit into a piece of gear 40
years old. It's not a simple task.

The number of phone calls from guys who shouldn't be working with electricity
scares me. Trying to explain to the guy on the other end how to set his simpson
260 up to read voltage. He didn't know!

or the guy that calls on a Sunday night because the bias voltage reads
backwards. He's upset because the voltage is negative and he can't figure out
way. A hour long phone call shot in the ass trying to explain that bias voltage
is negative in reference to ground.

How would you react to that?

Most of the time, guys don't read the instructions first, and then start
cutting away. Then they find out they can't find the black wire from the radio
cable because it was gray instead.

If anyone would like to sit down and rewrite the instructions, please do so!
I'll be more than happy to use YOUR instructions.

As far as being in the mood to appreciate feedback, I accept all that I get. I
accept criticism as well as most people.

If something is wrong, I'll fix it. I just added more instructions and
installation hints a week ago. If someone tells me that such and such step is
confusing. I'll be more than happy to fix it. It's just words on a computer
screen. Tap-tap, they're changed!

But...

Don't send me emails telling me how stupid I am. How your old sergeant knew
more about drakes than I do. Or how you spent 60 years in the navy and my
instructions don't meet
the TMA codes you're use to. OR send me a photos of two AC4s with the guts
ripped out and you don't understand why one has different wires than the other
one.

I keep and archive all emails, and I got some that would piss off the pope.
Really puts you in the mood to appreciate feed back doesn't it? I mean, how you
would react if you receive an email from someone you've never met and they tell
you how stupid and F**K up you are and how this and that are all wrong in the
instructions. How their 12 year old son could do a better job.

Tell me Tom, how you would react to that?

So, if you don't like the instructions, don't feel I accept and appreciate
feedback, then sit down, re-wrire the them so they cover every version of the
drake AC4, every possible deviation, and all possible obstacles. Make them
crystal clear for everyone on every end of the spectrum. All the old navy comm
techs, all the new hams, and everyone in between. And send them to me. I'll
trash the one I did and  be more than happy to include your new instructions
in the kits. I accept Microsoft .doc and .docx files.

And...

I'll be sure to forward all the emails from people that can't figure out your
instructions.

And...

I'm going to crawl back into the woodwork. This forum is not the place to
discuss this any further.

mike, wb8vge

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."
 Albert Einstein