When I got my novice ('64) I was 13 and a freshman in high school. I started with a R55A (mowed lots of yards) and a DX40 (present from dad for passing the novice). I have a copy of that station today. I have since gone through the gold dust twins and have two "S" lines, a supper nice Drake "C" line, and an R7, R388 along with other stuff (knight regens). But alas, an hour ago, my K3 kit arrived and it will replace the broken FT1000 (probably gonna be a parts unit ... note ... the Drake and Collins still work and can easily still be fixed). If I started over again in the 60's I would stay with the DX40 and opt for the 2B/2BQ (had one, mistakenly sold it).

After reading the original post that got this fascinating thread started, I am going to get off of dead center and listen to the 75S3B and the R4C (unmodified) to see how they compare. I am primarily a low band CW op here.

73, Mike WA5POK

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Nace
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 6:22 PM
To: John Hudson ; Darrell Bellerive ; drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] First Rigs - If you could do it all over again,what would your first station be?

25 years ago my first rig was a used Drake TR-7 from Burghardt Amateur Center, and I still have it. Antenna was a G5RV and a B&W 300 watt tuner from Madison (downtown Houston at the time). Worked the world with it. About 12 years ago I
started restoring tube gear, and most of you know what that means.......Many
fine-working radios saved from the scrap heap, and no more room at the QTH for
any more (not to mention a VERY patient XYL) !!!
73
Mark
N5KAE