I'm considering purchasing a local C line station. The transmitter is a high
serial number in very good condition. Under the hood there is an odd and poorly
executed modification.

Here is a photo showing the transmitter with the mod box. Maybe you can take a
look at it and comment.

http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n571/651daisy/Drake%20C%20Line/

The 82 yr old owner vaguely remembers the mod. He said the mod has a Berghardts
sticker on it. He told me the box has two air wound coils and 3 capacitors in
it. He thinks it's got something to do with the PTO but doesn't remember. He
mused that it might be to reduce drift. The mod is very poorly executed as the
box is attached to the PTO with black electrical tape, and some red house
wiring. The OT is the original owner and last used it in 1992. The T-4XC serial
number is in the high 26K range.

Anyone recognize such an oddball modification?

73, Scott WA9WFA