Yup.  I had to learn that the hard way.  I restored a TO for our club
and when I finished with the new caps I plugged it in....on its side.
Circuit works, but no keying.  The relay must be bad.  For the first
time I looked closely at the relay and then the light build went off
in my head.  Turned the unit over and it worked fine.

FYI.  Some folks find the sidetone annoying.  It's just a sawtooth
from a neon bulb relaxation oscillator.  So I inserted a series
resonant LC circuit directly in series iwth the secondary of T2.  I
used what I had in the junkbox that provided a decent Q at the chosen
note (31mH torroid and 1.33uF worth of parallel mylars).  If the
network is too lossy the amplitude will be affected and the harmonic
attentuation not as effective.  This basically translates into chosing
a decent inductor that doesn't have a high series resistance.  I opted
for a tone (750Hz) that was a little lower than what Hallicrafters
used so the timing capacitor across the NE2 got padded with 160pF to
bring the series LC into resonance (peaking the amplitude in the
process).  The result was a very pleasing note.  The components fit
easily under the chassis.

Dennis AE6C