THANK YOU everyone for all the info.  It has been a great trip down memory lane.

I been googlin.  Garey, I saw several references that you are right, it was
never
published.  Wow, I KNEW I didn't build it from a Hallicrafters manual..

I finally found a reference that must be correct.. it WAS the W6SAI Radio
Handbook,
but it was the 1962 issue.  I pulled the covers off mine and yes, it has the
same
tube lineup as the HA-1 (including BOTH a 0B2 and an 0A2!!).
I remember I got the part layout from the article, it uses a unique "dual in
line"
terminal board to hold the resistors and capacitors.  All the kid could scrounge
was two similar but shorter boards, so that is what is in there.  And as someone
mentioned, the sidetone is pretty nasty.  I was able to cobble in a TONE and
VOLUME control that sort of works..

So does anyone have a 1962 version of the W6SAI Handbook or can find a link??

73,
Gary
WB6OGD