The thread for the Sherwood modifications started with Max asking which ones
would be useful.  In my reply email and others tried to answer the question
for Max.  Hope this effort was useful to him.

I was surprised, however, to see such a staunch group that insists that the
Drakes stay pristine.  While I do not condone hackers and butchers (have one
really sad case now on the bench from some person who cared little of what
the radio was), I do believe there are mods that would enhance the use of
the radio.  For example, would anyone not recommend the grounding braid on a
PTO that obviously has lost the ability to provide its own ground?  Such a
modification enhances the pleasure of the use of the radio.  Not doing it
keeps that radio generally useless.

And so it is for the Sherwood Mods.  When I did mine it was on a set that
was already partially modified by Sherwood.  It was at a point in time where
I could not afford anything else than a used set of Drakes.  It was my only
radio.  Modifications to the radio for my purposes made the enjoyment even
deeper and it is the reason while 30 years later I still have them.

So, while it is purist to state that the Drakes should stay pristine, we all
know and accept that those modified with a true and correct intent to fix
and enhance the operation was for me, and many, a choice that would have
otherwise frustrated us to another hobby.

The term  "different strokes for different folks..."   How we all use and
love our Drake radios is unique.  There simply is not a single right or
wrong way; so it is with the modifications.

Enjoyed the thread.

David Assaf, III
W5XU