One needs to look at these changes for what they are, in the context of their
original use when they were introduced over 30 years ago.  Back then, these
mods did make a fairly-new radio perform much better.  I can also remember ads
in QST for solid-state tube replacements.  I never saw any tests done on those.

Back around 1980, these mods were ways to get more performance out of
contemporary or recently contemporary rigs.  There are folks who love them with
these mods and others who hate 'em.  A chacque son gout.

For me and lots of others, we like the Drakes for what they represent from
their now-historical period and will minimize the mods.  Myself, I have an
Elecraft K3 for doing contesting and heavy-duty DX'ing.  It's a fantastic rig.

I used to have a Model A Ford, as well as my modern car that I commuted to work
with.  While it was fun to take the "A" out on weekends and occasionally to
work to show it off, it really was a lousy commuter car compared to the Saab
that I was driving at the time.  But the "A" was still enjoyable.  That's the
way I look at my Drake gear.

BTW, stock Drake gear is usually much more useable on the current bands than
90% of the other rigs that were contemporary to any of the Drake line.

My $0.02

Enjoy Those Drakes, but leave the DSP in your K3...

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
- Joe Walsh

If the above message appears, it came from Steve's Son of Laptop!