Sartori Associates also made the kits available. The earliest ads I have
for the Sherwood / Sartori kits is 1982. Most of the articles for R-4C
improvement show up in 1979 issues of Ham Radio and 73. Fox Tango also made
switchable 1st IF filters kits available they called  GUF-1 and GUF-2.
    For a while in the late 90’s a fellow by the name of David McCauley I
believe and sold upgrade kits as well through his online Drake Shop store. The
boards were good quality and priced very reasonable. I don’t think he is in
business any longer though.
    So you are quite correct Steve, the current improvements for the R-4C were
dreamed up 30 years ago and by various individuals.

73, Gary