Thanks for the comments, Floyd. I have noted with my TR-7 that if I get into
ALC on CW the sidetone starts to sound "rough" and a scope on the carrier shows
what looks like some AM "fuzz" starting to show up on the signal. I was never
sure if this was a problem or not as the owner's manual does state that
advancing the carrier control past the point where the light comes on "may
result in undesirable keying characteristics". I've seen a couple of other
TR-7s do something similar. I may look into it at some point, but as long as I
stay below ALC illumination everything looks fine. Using even a little ALC to
"level" the carrier on transmit doesn't sound like a good idea anyay.

73

-Jim
NU0C

--
“There’s something out of place – let’s go and poke it with a stick.” – The
Doctor, "Amy’s Choice"