I'm not convinced that it's related to the output level. The rough sidetone
suggests to me that the problem is somewhere in the 2nd IF/Audio board. The
sidetone is generated there by feeding the CW oscillator into the RX IF and
letting the product detector do the work. Coincidentally, the ALC control also
takes place on this board. It may be a decoupling issue. A good starting point
might be to re-cap all of the electrolytic decoupling caps on the board. They
are all positively ancient in dog years. Just speculation at this point...

73

-Jim
NU0C

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org