> Yes, that's the goal.  "Synchronous" DMA means that we wait for the card
> to idle after submitting each DMA pass, rather than going on to do other
> things and polling or handling interrupts to check for completion of the
> DMA transfer.  Synchronous operation isn't meant to be fast, it's just a
> first step in testing that we are submitting the DMA pass correctly.
That's exactly what I thought. Good, I am not that dumb... Probably
eventually I'll grow smart enough to join the team:) Any estimations on
speedup we'll get in glxgears?

> Sure.  Let us know if you experience a lockup again.  There will be some
> big changes coming in the drm in 0-0-4 soon, so it's likely to be a bit
> unstable for a while.
COOL. My laptop is eager to be crashed by new snapshots. Just announce
GART or asynchronous DMA - and it is yours.

BTW, it was mentioned it was easy to enable 2D acceleration back. Is it
true? Can it be done in snapshots (by checking this illustrious
pATI->directRenderingEnabled). So people could use snapshot drivers in
everyday life - without restarting X...
Also, just one question - if I set in XF86Config
 Modes "1280x1024" "800x600"
- could I have DRI enabled in 800x600 (switching by Alt+"Gr-") - though
I don't have enough video RAM for 1280x1024?

Cheers,

Sergey