On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 04:21:51PM +0100, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
>> I just tried to run my X in 1280x1024/24bpp (before it was 16bpp) and
>> lost DRM! I got it back only in 800x600/24. Now when we have AGP
>> textures working - what are the restrictions on resolutions/color depth?
>Still no answer..:(
>Could please anyone tell me why I cannot get 1280x1024/24bpp with AGP
>texturing? Is this fundamental restriction or just temporary problem?

Is there anything reported on /var/log/XFree86.0.log or
/var/log/messages?

>Should this [3 * screen size] be in video memory or total AGP memory
>would suffice?

The 3 * screen size restrition refers always on the video memory.

>Also, I noticed X server crashes while changing the resolution (as well
>as switching to another VTs). Is there a way to track this in order to
>help fixing?

Yes. Either start X with gdb or attach gdb after X starts but before
changing resolution from a remote terminal, e.g.:

        > ssh yourhost
        > ps -A | grep X
        28952 ?        02:49:17 X

        > gdb /usr/X11R6/bin/X 28952
        > continue

Then reproduce the segfault, i.e., change the resolution in this case,
the gdb command line should reapper. Type 'bt' and post the result.

>Also, I found another nice GL testing app - glclock. It looks really
>gorgeous. And it shows a lot of cases where Mach64 still uses SW
>rendering - the difference in fps is really impressive:)

I didn't followed you. What do you mean with SW rendering and which two
situations do the difference in fps refer?

José Fonseca