On 25 Jun 2002, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

> > 8 MB       AGP         1280 x 1024 @16bpp, 1024 x  768 @24bpp
> That's what I have now. 1280x1024 16bpp. And able to run OpenGL apps
> perfectly.

I assume you're referring to Window here, right?  I don't think the
current cvs will enable DRI at this resolution yet.

> > Note that an 8MB PCI card could get 1280x1024@16, but there would only
> > be ~191kB left over for textures, which isn't likely to be useable.
> Well, but I even run counter-strike in this resolution! Or do I miss
> something? Well, it's desktop resolution - cstrike runs in 1024x768
> window. Does this matter?

I was referring to PCI-only cards here (or the forced PCI driver mode).
Do you have an AGP card?  With an AGP card, you have plenty of space for
textures in AGP, so 1280x1024 should be useable with 8M of card memory.
Are you saying that in Windows you can have a 1280x1024 desktop, but
cstrike will only run at a max of 1024x768?  That would be possible on a
PCI-only card with dynamic buffer allocation.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net