> > That's what I have now. 1280x1024 16bpp. And able to run OpenGL apps
> > perfectly.
> I assume you're referring to Window here, right?  I don't think the
> current cvs will enable DRI at this resolution yet.
Well, I run it with DRI/Linux+XFree4.2.0. My screen resolution is
1280x1024 16bpp:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

And I do have DRI working for me. Surprise?:)

> Do you have an AGP card?  With an AGP card, you have plenty of space for
Yes I do have AGP 2x in my laptop Mobility.
> textures in AGP, so 1280x1024 should be useable with 8M of card memory.
But not in 24bpp:(
> Are you saying that in Windows you can have a 1280x1024 desktop, but
> cstrike will only run at a max of 1024x768?  That would be possible on a
> PCI-only card with dynamic buffer allocation.
In LINUX I have 1280x1024 desktop and run cstrike in 1024x768 (using
wine from Transgaming, sure). 16bpp, naturally.

Sergey