Michal Kozlowski wrote:
> Hi Stefan, good to hear someone got it working.  I'll give the
> r200-0-1-branch a shot, see if I can compile it and get it running.  Would
> there be a problem if I had the radeon_dri modules still in the module/dri
> directory (I'll try removing it)

if you recompile and do a "make install", all the files that have been
changed should be updated (r200_dri.so and radeon_dri.so have been
updated for me at least)

compiling from cvs shouldn't be a problem, I just followed the DRI
Compilation Guide from the website and everything went fine (you might
have to compile the kernel drm-module manually, but that's no trouble)

> <snip>
>
>>Did you take a look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log, maybe it gives you any
>>interesting information why the server won't start (or why it blanks
>>your screen)
>
> </snip>
>
> I posted in my first post, didn't want to clutter up the email in the
> reply, here is the last snippet of my log:
>
> (II) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP Texture map mapped at 0x4452c000
> (II) RADEON(0): [drm] register handle = 0xe1000000
> (II) RADEON(0): [dri] Visual configs initialized
> (II) RADEON(0): CP in BM mode
> (II) RADEON(0): Using 8 MB AGP aperture
> (II) RADEON(0): Using 1 MB for the ring buffer
> (II) RADEON(0): Using 2 MB for vertex/indirect buffers
> (II) RADEON(0): Using 5 MB for AGP textures
> (II) RADEON(0): Memory manager initialized to (0,0) (1600,2514)
> (II) RADEON(0): Reserved area from (0,1200) to (1600,1202)
> (II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1600 x 1312
> (II) RADEON(0): Reserved back buffer at offset 0xf5a000
> (II) RADEON(0): Reserved depth buffer at offset 0x16ad000
> (II) RADEON(0): Reserved 34816 kb for textures at offset 0x1e00000
> (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
> (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
>
> This is right before where XAA is suppose to load.
>
> <snip>

yes, XAA is the next section in my log files, do yours just stop there?

>>Also, what hardware are you using (mainboard chipset, model of the card,
>>cpu ...)? Maybe the current driver works better on some chipsets than on
>>others?
>>

> </snip>
>
> oops, okay I'm running an AMD thunderbird 1 Ghz

athlon 1800+ for me

> ABIT KT7A - RAID (chipset is VIA KT133A /VIA 686B)

kt266a, southbridge is via8233 for my system

> harddrive in software raid using xfs on top
i don't have this, but i don't see any reason why it should cause problems

> Live! Value
> ATI 8500 64MB (x recognizes it as 8500 QL rev 0)

mine is also recognized as a 8500 QL rev 0 (it's a 8500LE in fact)

So your hardware seems to be fairly similar to mine. Let's see if
rebuilding from cvs improves the situation for you

cu
Stefan