Henry Worth wrote:

> I gave the driver a quick try without the HOST_BIG_ENDIAN_EN bit
> set and with the PACK*LE macros. And, the 2-d stuff seems to be working
> and the textures do need the PACK*LE macros. So, perhaps the bit only
> impacts the DMA blits used to load the texture subimages?
>
> If someone with the docs can confirm what that bit is suppose to do, we
> may get be able to getaway with eliminating that bit.

Found a big pro and con for running without that bit set--- XV!

Xine playing a DVD requires 40% less cpu time on dual 450 G4's. That's
likely from reduced byte-swapping and would hold the promise of most G3's
with Rage 128's finally being able to play DVD's without dropped frames.

The con... it's very unstable and subject to server and system hangs.
Concurrently
trying to move windows is impossibly slow and jerky, and may cause
artifacts and
momentary (multi-second) hangs. In one case the server and system (telnet
session wouldn't respond) hung till I moved the mouse. Trying to run
glxgears
causes an instant server hang.

For comparison, with 4.2.0 I can load up the system with makes and
seti's to
99+% and then start xine and glxgears. And while xine is dropping a lot
of frames,
playback has only a slight flutter and X is still responsive enough to
fireup and
use mozilla.

BTW, I'm in forced PCI mode, which has been needed for XV and DRI to run
concurrently, but will have to give AGP mode a try.

Looks like some nasty DMA contention problems, perhaps the kernel drivers
need some compensating changes?

Henry