On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 18:20, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >AGP has become very stable here since the radeon driver doesn't update
> >the ring write pointer in ADVANCE_RING() but in the new COMMIT_RING().
> >Seems updating it 'too often' is no good, for whatever 'too often' may
> >mean.
>
> I hate that. It should be fully stable or I would consider it
> unuseable :(

Define 'fully stable' - no crash to infinity and beyond? ;) I can run for
days without crashes on this TiBook, I consider that quite good.

> On my side, I've temporarily given up trying to understand what was
> going on. Does anybody have useful contacts at ATI that could help ?
>
> I have 2 possible ideas:
>
>  - Some athlon-like cache aliasing issues, though I don't think PPCs
> do that aggressive prefetch accross page boundaries

And in that case, I'd expect the problem to be (mostly) independent from
driver changes.

>  - Some "magic" skew value to set in the chip to compensate for some
> bus arbitration issues when mixing AGP master transfers and PCI slave
> transfers. Or maybe just disabling some of the AGP features like
> Fast Write...

Something like that seems much more likely to me, seeing as throttling
the ring write pointer updates helps a great deal.