Alan Cox wrote:
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 22:11, D. Hageman wrote:

Alan,

What would you like to see be implemented to help get the job done. In other words, what do you need from the DRI team?

It takes two to tango so its not just what I need its also what do they
need.

What I would like to see would be:

A single definitive source for the DRM code, one where contributions go
back from Linux, from *BSD, from core XFree86 as well as from the DRI
project.
My feeling is that the dri cvs should be that place. What workable alternatives exist?

It seems that changes get inserted to the drm code in the kernel from time to time. Is the expectation that we monitor the kernel drm and periodically merge (or otherwise) those random or worthy changes back to this repository? I personally don't want to subscribe to lkml or attempt to fully monitory the traffic there.

The ability to track changes to that with reasons so that we can keep a
stable DRM and also the 'DRM of the day' visible to the kernel people -
perhaps the devel kernel tree having an option for "Development DRM
(XFree86 4.4) (Y/M/N)".
This is the biggest unknown, I think - there are multiple sources that have a reasonable claim to this throne

-- whatever was in the last XFree86 release
-- XFree86 stable cvs (which differs only slightly from above)
-- the newly created dri stable branch
-- etc.

We've had some discussions about stable branches for other purposes (binary compatibility concerns with XFree versions), however it would make reasonable sense for this to be the definitive 'stable' source for drm modules also.

That would mean the DRM of the day gets more exposure to external review
and we find bugs in the kernel side (be they X or kernel caused)
rapidly, as well as submitting back changes to the common repository so
that when a new major Linux kernel appears DRM just works.

We've been very lucky in that Linus has been pulling changes into 2.5 and providing some useful feedback when things go wrong. I don't know how sustainable this is though - I think we're probably taking up more of his time than we should be.

How would you ideally see this working?

Keith