On 12 Dec 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

>Date: 12 Dec 2002 18:22:10 +0000
>From: Alan Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Alan Hourihane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: D. Hageman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [Dri-devel] DRM Kernel Questions
>
>On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 12:40, Alan Hourihane wrote:
>> > The ability to track changes to that with reasons so that we can keep a
>> > stable DRM and also the 'DRM of the day' visible to the kernel people -
>> > perhaps the devel kernel tree having an option for "Development DRM
>> > (XFree86 4.4) (Y/M/N)".
>>
>> For 'stable DRM' you need to stick with XFree86 4.2.0 and the DRM modules
>> that ship with 4.2.0. For 'DRM of the day' use the DRI trunk.
>
>Do the 4.2.0 DRM modules from XFree 4.2.0 have all the bug fixes in them
>for things pci_alloc_consistent ?

I don't know the answer to that, but it brought up a thought in
my mind.  DRM is supposed to be backward compatible currently as
far back as 4.1.0.  It would make the most sense to me then, to
check all DRM changes into xf-4_2-branch, and xf-4_1-branch as
soon as they're known to be stable and correct.  This ensures
that DRM is updated in all releases.

The alternative is having people get a given X release, and then
use the DRM from the most recent X release.  Or should they be
getting it from DRI-CVS instead?  Or from kernel.org?

A lot of confusion in DRMland...