On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Alan Hourihane wrote:

>> > For 'stable DRM' you need to stick with XFree86 4.2.0 and the DRM modules
>> > that ship with 4.2.0. For 'DRM of the day' use the DRI trunk.
>>
>> Do the 4.2.0 DRM modules from XFree 4.2.0 have all the bug fixes in them
>> for things pci_alloc_consistent ?
>
>No, nor does 4.2.1.

Should anyone be using XFree86 CVS stable branch DRM nor trunk
DRM then?  I presume if bugfixes are not going into XFree86 CVS
stable branches, that the DRM in there is snapshoted and then
throwaway.

Where should we be getting DRM from for our kernel, and where
should we be sending bug fixes for DRM to?

I'd like to have one single location, be it kernel.org, DRI-CVS,
or XFree86.org to both get DRM from, and send in bugfixes for.
I have been getting it from XFree86 CVS in the past, generally
right after a merge, or when I spot drm changes in cvs-commits.

Right now however, for both Red Hat kernels, and kernel.org
kernels there is up to 2 levels of indirection between the
kernel.org kernel updates and the DRM upstream source, and it
seems also that many bugfixes also go through 2 or more levels of
indirection.

Where should all DRM bug fixes be sent? Right now if I've got a
DRM bugfix hypothetically, I've got to send it to Arjan for
inclusion in our kernel, then Alan or Marcelo for inclusion in
the kernel.org kernel, and should probably have it sent to
linux-kernel so other vendors are aware of it also,
then dri-devel to make DRI developers aware of it for inclusion
into DRI CVS too, as I understand nobody follows linux-kernel,
and also to XFree86's patch queue.

It's impossible to track all of that, and to track wether or not
a given patch has actually been accepted in all of those
locations and is applied or not.  It's possible that one group of
people may not apply the patch until it is accepted by group B or
C, and that the submitter may be expected to monitor group B to
see if they accept and apply it, and then again notify group A, C
and D that the patch is applied, please apply it to your set too.

As the number of patches goes up, and the number of releases of
the kernel, XFree86, our distro, etc. it is impossible to keep
track of it all.

What I would like to see, is the DRI project, the XFree86
project, the Linux kernel folk all agree to one single
unmistakeable official location for acquiring the
current official "stable" kernel DRM source, and one
single official location for submitting bug fixes, and then
either:

1) That one location is responsible for pushing the fix out to
   whatever other places they feel are necessary or warranted.

or

2) The various projects all pull the fixes in themselves from the
   one single central 'official' location, and if sent a fix from
   someone randomly, they automatically forward it on to the
   official location and not just apply it locally to their tree.
   That could be DRI-CVS, XFree86 CVS, or kernel.org.

Also, it'd be prefered if that one "official" location would
release versioned tarballs of the official DRM release, which
would then be easier for people to manage what changed between
different versions than tracking a given CVS head which may
possibly become unstable at some times, etc.

Right now, as it stands, I often get bug reports of DRI lockups
and problems in our bugzilla, which upon deeper investigation
turns out to be someone using a kernel.org kernel instead of our
supplied kernel, and the DRM isn't new enough, or contains bugs
that our kernel does not, and that DRI-CVS or XFree86 might not.

We need...

One DRM to rule them all,
One developer to find them,
One DRM to bring them all,
And in the darkness find them.

<dodges tomatoes>

Yes, that was a lame attempt at humor.

Seriously though, having 50 frayed trees of the same source code
benefits nobody really, especially if various people consider
different trees as authoritative/stable/official/whatever.

As long as XFree86 / DRI Project / kernel.org each have their own
DRM code, people will pull DRM from one of the three locations,
and people will send bug reports, fixes, etc. to 3 locations.  If
each of those locations refuse to send patches on to the other
locations, and expect the submitter to do it, the whole thing
breaks down.

What solutions do people think would be appropriate?