On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:50:39PM +0100, Dieter Nützel wrote:
>
> > Some apps only run smooth with 2.5.49+ kernels due to Linus latest work.
> > Nothing of it in XFree or DRI, yet.
>
> Linus should submit it here for inclusion - simple. I doubt any of us
> are tracking 2.5.x that closely at the moment.

Note that the standard kernel does _not_ have any new DRM stuff (it does
in fact tend to lag behind the DRI CVS tree a bit). If 2.5.x is smoother,
it is because of other issues (most likely the higher timer frequency).

I've submitted a few patches to just make merging the DRI CVS tree easier
(ie whitespace fixes from the standard tree), and those got merged pretty
quickly by Keith, if I remember correctly.

On the whole 2.5.x has usually tracked the DRI CVS tree _fairly_ well. I
haven't had any real troubles merging stuff (yeah, I didn't want to merge
the task-queue changes, but that already got discussed, and the current
DRI tree may even have the objectionable stuff fixed - I just came back
from two days in Korea, so I haven't had time to check).

My only worry about the DRI CVS tree is one of stability and timing - it
would be nice if the kernel part of DRI were to be fairly good and
backwards compatible by say March 2003, simply because we'll have 2.6
coming up, and if the in-kernel DRI code is to be useful, it would
hopefully work both with older X setups _and_ the DRI CVS tree..

In short, I'm pretty happy with DRI CVS. It's not a huge amount of work
for me to merge stuff from there (assuming it keeps goign like it has so
far), and my historical worries (the lack of binary compatibility etc)
seem to have been addressed quite nicely and I have absolutely no
complaints.

                Linus