Andreas Stenglein wrote:
thanks a lot!

btw, I got the 3rd TMU working with hw-tcl and codegen, too.
(at least multiarb.c works)
I'm going to clean the patch up a bit, so that it only contains
things related to 3rd TMU support.

Am 2003.06.23 12:17:26 +0200 schrieb(en) Michel Dänzer:

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 14:14, Andreas Stenglein wrote:

[...] some comments where I dont know what to do.

I'll try to address some of them:

+   if( (sPriv->drmMinor < 3) || (getenv( "RADEON_NO_3RD_TMU")) ) /*
question: is the check for drmMinor necessary? */
+      ctx->Const.MaxTextureUnits = 2;
+   else
+      ctx->Const.MaxTextureUnits = RADEON_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS; /* 3 */

Does the 3rd TMU require any DRM support not present before that minor version?

I dont know ;) I think I have to try if 3rd TMU works when RADEON_COMPAT is set.
On the other hand I think DRI from stock XFree86 4.3.0 wont even work
with old radeon.o kernelmodules...

Is there a list which versions of the drm-modules were distributed?
(linux 2.4, 2.5, bsd x.x, XFree86 4.x.x, GATOS etc.)

+   /* question: shouldn't the following be controlled by the
kernelmodule */
+   /* and/or Xserver-configuration if it can crash the card? */
   else if (getenv("RADEON_TCL_FORCE_ENABLE")) {
      fprintf(stderr, "Enabling TCL support...  this will probably
crash\n");
      fprintf(stderr, "         your card if it isn't capable of
TCL!\n");

Why? :)

I do wonder if trying to enable HW TCL makes sense though, there was a
bit of confusion about TCL support on the various chips at the time.
Maybe we can clean this up with the new config infrastructure.

I think that wont help: some_bad_user could put that code back and
install his own radeon_dri.so to lockup the graphicscard of a
workstation he only has user-rights to.
So access to hw-accelerated 3d has to be restricted to trusted users,
at least if you have a card without tcl.

There are so many ways to get any of these graphics cards to lock up the system - they're all prone to lockup if you do just one single thing wrong - you can send a bunch of very nice legal commands, but in some unspecified wrong order and have the card lockup. The rules for avoiding lockups are so complex and poorly defined that it's practically impossible to guarentee that it won't happen.

Keith