On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 23:17, Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- Michel Dnzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 19:37, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > The BitKeeper people have said they would love to be the host for DRI/Mesa
> > > source.
> >
> > I strongly object to this, I won't take part in development with
> > non-free tools. If CVS really is a problem, there are free alternatives
> > which should be more than powerful enough for the DRI tree. The merge
> > arguments are moot, see
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg02472.html .
> >

> BK is free to download. The free license has the quirky condition that you
> can't also develop a competing source code control tool.

This and other restrictions make it very non-free as in freedom,
unacceptably so for me.

> There are probably a thousand people using BK to work on the kernel
> right now. A few people working on the kernel had a conflict with this
> condition. Some bought a BK license which removes the restriction,
> others are using a read-only CVS gateway and mailing their patches to a
> person using BK.

As Linus said, this works for the Linux kernel because people always had
to send him patches anyway. We have different requirements. If nothing
else, bk is overkill for the DRI IMO.

> A side effect of using BK is that they are providing free hosting for BK
> projects on a high bandwidth server. SourceForge is really the main problem.

Exactly, so why are you trying to sneak in a non-free tool instead of
addressing the real problem?

> PS - If you tried using BK for a while you'd quickly see why it is so much
> better than CVS. Peer to peer is a much better solution that CVS' client/server
> model. The BK architecture is 10 years ahead of CVS'. Several projects are
> trying to clone BK but none are close to being complete.

I'm pretty sure Subversion does at least what we need, and Xouvert is
even using arch, though admittedly it remains to be seen how that works
out.