On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> Since I rsync from a CVS checkout all the cvs commands still work but go
> back off to the CVS server saving a ton of bandwidth and cpu

This only works if the CVS server itself is working well _anyway_.

So yes, rsync in that sense can be used to (somewhat unsafely, I'd like to
point out) speed up big CVS updates, but you still want something else to
work too.

Using rsync to replicate the whole CVS repository (rather than just the
checked out tree) should work too, and then you can have local and fast
operations, but it tends to require some other details being right (ie you
have to rsync to the same path on both sites etc).

                Linus