On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:02:34 +0100
Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric Anholt wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 03:55, Felix Kühling wrote:

> >>Having a local CVS mirror sound cool for me as a modem user. How
> >>feasible is it to regularly do a cvsup over a modem line? Is it
> >>comparable to rsync?
> >

> > I did it for a couple of years with the FreeBSD repo over a 28.8, which
> > is more active than the DRI and at least 10 times bigger I would guess.
> > The initial download will take a while, but you can cancel and resume as
> > necessary.  I don't really know what rsync is like.
>
> They sound pretty similar.  Does cvsup understand things like 'cvs update -j'
> or branches?
>
> Rsync just mirrors files, but does it well.

I think the idea is that you mirror the entire CVS repository with
cvsup. Then you can do any read-only cvs operations on the local copy of
the repository. That includes merging branches in a working copy. For
commiting you still have to use the remote repository, though.

> Keith

Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.