On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 01:46, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Thomas Emmel wrote:

> >>I'm running a quite up-to-date mirror in Germany - currently without public
> >>access, but we could change this. Though this mirror suffers from absence of
> >>the SF server too ....
> >>
> >>Interest ?
> >

> > Thanks a lot for your help. I have already loaded it via rsync from
> > jose's mirror. Approx. 10 times faster than CVS...
> >

> It seems like anon cvs is something that causes project-hosting sites some
> discomfort...  freedesktop.org doesn't have it in place right now, for instance.
>
> However, I'm not sure rsync is a sufficiently useful tool to consider dropping
> anon cvs in its favor -- there's no concept of 'rsync diff' or of merging in
> repository changes with local ones.  In other words, it can't be promoted as a
> replacement for cvs for non-registered-developers who are none the less trying
> to do some actual coding on the tree.  For most tasks beyond simply tracking
> our trunk or branches, it seems inadequate and less useful than just posting a
> tarred up snapshot each night.
>
> Keith

I'd like to give another plug for cvsup here.  I consider it a reason to
move to freedesktop (BK having been vetoed) even if sourceforge
magically fixed everything about their CVS.  cvsup allows users to
quickly check out a branch of CVS or update it, as long as they aren't
trying to keep local patches (which cvsup will overwrite).  Doing it
this way doesn't leave CVS directories, meaning no diffing.  For
developers, cvsup allows them to mirror the entire CVS repo and update
it relatively quickly.  My first cvsup of the FreeBSD repo in a week
took 8 minutes (mainly due to the horrible condition of our campus
internet).  Then you can check out, diff, etc. from your local repo and
use a shell alias/script to later commit to the public repository if
you're a registered developer.  Also cvsup is supposed to be easier on
the servers compared to cvs use.

I would of course want there to also be anoncvs access available at
equal quality.

--
Eric Anholt                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         [EMAIL PROTECTED]