You are right.  Last night I created a virtual desktop of 2100x768 and
display mode of 1024x768, then ran several fullscreen GL xscreensaver
hacks.  All of them displayed fine.  I haven't looked at the source to
the hacks, but I assume they look at the current display mode and the
create a 3D window of that size, 1024x768 in this case.  I guess the GL
screensavers may be draw their 3D window at starting at 0,0.  The only
time I see the rendering fail is when the actual 3D window(s) itself
exceeds 2048.  For instance if I resize a glxgears window, it will
render fine up to 2048, then the window goes blank, or if I run several
instances of glxgears lined up, the one that exceeds 2048 will go
blank.

perhaps the limit is actually 2047?  that wouldn't seem to be the case
since rendering still happens at 2048 it's just full of arifacts.
perhaps it is bandwidth.

I downloaded the newest version of xscreensaver last night.  the new
behavior is to create 2 instances of the GL hack based on the xinerama
info and display one on head head.  the hack running on the first head
displays fine; the one running on the second head shows the corruption.
So it seems to have something to do with 2048.

Alex