I've had several mergedfb users complain about the 2048 DRI limit
put in yesterday:

else if ( pScrn->virtualX > 2048 || pScrn->virtualY > 2048 ) {
                    info->directRenderingEnabled = FALSE;
                    xf86DrvMsg(scrnIndex, X_WARNING,
                               "Direct Rendering Disabled -- "
                               "Virtual resolution exceeds 2048 "
                               "(hardware limitation)\n");
}

I'm not sure what the best way around this is...
While that is the limit, you can have a desktop larger than 2048 in
either dimension and 3D will work as long as the 3D windows are within
those limits.  Often times users have a desktop larger than 2048 and
then when they use 3D (game, etc. using xvidmode), they switch to a
clone mode of less then 2048 and everything works fine.  people rarely
run any apps larger than 2048 (other than screen savers maybe...).

I don't really care which way we go on this issue, I'm just pointing
out that's it's there...

perhaps we can not disable the DRI if mergedfb is active and the viral
is larger than 2048?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Alex