When the X server is running it is all in memory.  when you copy a
never version over the existing install, it just copies over the files.
 The new files aren't used until you restart the X server.  upon
restarting you are then loading the new X server (XFree86) which then
loads the radeon_drv.o driver to drive your hardware.

somehow validating the mode for crtc2 must be messing up the mode for
crtc1.  I rewrote some of that code, so it's possible I messed
something up.

Alex