> 3) It implements the normal Linux mechanism for associating a device driver with
> the hardware; that's what caused the changes in the PCI ID tables. If it
> discovers that an FB driver is already loaded it stops probing and reverts to
> the old scheme.

My main worry is that this stuff break BSD compat, and without Eric around
I'd say fixing it mightn't be the easiest, also for the 2.6 merge I've
removed all the device ID strings as as Dave J pointed out they are
duplicating pci.ids, can we not get this info from the pci layer on Linux
and perhaps for BSD keep the strings if they have nothing similiar.....

> 4) It permanently maps (DRM map, not kernel map) the framebuffer and registers.
> This gets rid of the need for the user space app to find out where these are and
> then tell the DRM driver. Now the DRM driver just asks the hardware. If you try
> to map these again from user space the request is just ignored.
>
> 5) It implements sysfs and hotplug using class_simple.

Can you check against sysfs code I've added that was submitted to the
kernel? just make sure it doesn't do things twice etc..

> Most of the code is driver independent. postinit will need to be
> implemented for each DRM driver. postinit marks the hardware in use to
> the kernel and adds the permanent DRM maps for framebuffer and
> registers. I've implemented postinit for the radeon.

Will the DRM still build for the other drivers without postinit?

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person