Jon Smirl wrote:
--- Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As Alan pointed out on IRC, it won't. But providing the means to do it

I'm using code extracted from the reset function in Xfree.  It seems to work for
Xfree, why shouldn't it work for me?

cleanly is certainly good basically. The question is exactly where it
belongs. I suggested to do this work on a branch for the time being, and
got zero feedback. I don't know what that's supposed to mean; some
people take silence as approval, but I don't.

I have six months worth of code that I can't check in because it all relies on a
sequence of patches. I have so many patches I am getting confused and losing
code. I'm doing this work for fun, I'm not getting paid, and lately it hasn't
been too much fun. If changes to DRM are going to be blocked please tell me now
and I will go work on another project.

My problem with your changes is that I really don't know how to evaluate them. Secondly, there seem to be people who know what they're talking about who have real objections to some of them.

Perhaps you need to go back to your sequence of patches and identify those that can be merged individually as incremental improvements to the existing drm module, or perhaps even to new modules, and that are relatively "uncontroversial".

In general, I don't think that saying 'this is what MS is doing, hence we need to somehow compete' is going to swing people who care about the kernel & its structure. You need to express your desired changes in terms of what technical problems are being solved and also accept that there might be other ways to address those problems.

I'm sure you're capable of doing this, but you need to understand that you may have looked very closely at some particular problem & others are maybe a step or two behind you - and may not even recognize something as a problem at this point.

There have been a lot of changes proposed & some real objections to some of them - I'd like to see those resolved somehow. I'd also like to avoid what looks like a small issue of approach or style end up driving an active developer to some different project.

Keith