> As Alan pointed out on IRC, it won't. But providing the means to do it
> cleanly is certainly good basically. The question is exactly where it
> belongs. I suggested to do this work on a branch for the time being, and
> got zero feedback. I don't know what that's supposed to mean; some
> people take silence as approval, but I don't.

I'd be on for placing it on a branch, the main issue I have with it is
resetting VGA cards isn't IMHO the DRMs job, there are lots of 2D cards
with no DRM that might need resetting, so I think architecturally it
doesn't fit with the current DRM, now if the idea of the generic video
card driver shim in the kernel that both fb and drm could use was to
become a reality then I think this functionality could quite happily sit
in that layer, but I don't see that particular task starting pre-2.7 if at
all ..

> What will happen if userland fails to restore it?

I persume we'll lock up, but you need root so shooting yourself in the
foot is allowed..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person