On Friday 04 February 2005 15:26, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> > maybe it makes sense to start including r300 in mesa.  You guys have
> > made a lot of progress.  It doesn't have to be built by default, and
> > the development can still happen in r300 cvs (just sync them from time
> > to time), but it might help with the testing since snapshots would be
> > made nightly.  OTOH, it's still fairly experimental.
>
> Sorry did not reply earlier, I had to take some time to think about this.
>
> The biggest reason at the moment against including R300 driver in Mesa CVS
> is that the code is a mess. There are r200 files that are not being used
> in any way and large sections of code simply cut'n'pasted from R200 driver
> with pieces commented out to allow everything to compile.

I would really like to see the r300 code not get its own driver.  Unified
drivers are a good thing, and radeon/r200 is bad enough.  Unfortunately I
don't know a good way to make sure they don't diverge more than they already
have.  I think the current development method is working fine for now, but
that the end goal should be to fold the r300 code back into r200.

> The second big reason is that we cannot simply include Mesa driver alone -
> it would have to be accompanied by changes to the DRM driver. R300 DRM
> driver is stabilized as far as experimental development is concerned, but
> it is far from perfect from security standpoint (we basically allow almost
> arbitrary commands as we did not know what we would need when we started).

Here again, ideally this would get folded upstream too, once it's at least
secure.

I can't really mandate a policy since I haven't been contributing much to
r300, but I would like to hear how people think this should progress.

- aajx