On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Richard Stellingwerff wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:45:47 -0500, Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Does it also happen without either or all of the options in the radeon
> > device section?
>
> I just removed the AGPFastWrite and DynamicClocks options. The crashes
> still happen though.

Looks like not only I have problems with the radeon driver. I update the
X.org, drm, Mesa CVS once a week, but haven't found a working combination
since 4-5 months...

I don't intend to start a flame-war, but is there anybody who can use the
r200 driver without X crashes? I'm testing X.org CVS regularly (almost on
every weekend) with my RV280, with the latest linux 2.6 kernel.

I checked out X.org on last Saturday, played with Descent3 for some
minutes, it didn't crashed. Good. Restarted X, started Descent3 again, it
crashed almost immediately, as expected :(( That's why I have a 'shutdown
-r 5' in the background, when I test X.org CVS...

Compiled Mesa CVS, installed the libraries and the driver, started D3.
(Descent3 looks great, textures are visible, thanks to Eric Anholt's
projected texture patch which is in Mesa CVS) The game crashed X in a few
seconds. This was expected too :((

I tried out other OpenGL-based games, unfortunately, I can crash X with
almost every game I have - it is only a matter of time. I tried setting
color depth to 16 bit, changed the AGP to 1x in the system BIOS, none of
these helped.

Last time I used the 2.6.11-rc3 linux kernel, X.org CVS (updated on
20050205), Mesa CVS (20050205, linux-x86-dri target). I didn't built the
drm module, I used the kernel's radeon drm module. I used to test the drm
compiled from the CVS version, but I found out, that it is only a matter
of time to crash the X server, so I skipped the drm CVS test. Of course
the real tests will be these:

1. build and install everything from CVS, if the X server can be crashed,
 go to step 2, otherwise be happy :))
2. use the X.org CVS version with the stock kernel's drm, if X still
 crashes, go to step 3. Otherwise use the  X.org CVS, live without
 projected textures...
3. use the X.org and Mesa CVS versions. If X still crashes, then the bug
 can be in X.org or Mesa or in drm - I'm not able to trace down the
 problem.

Unfortunately all 3 scenarios give the same result: X crashes.

Is there any way I can help to track down the problem(s)? My machine
doesn't have network connection, so I can use only scripts which run in
the background. With expect and gdb maybe it is possible to get at least a
backtrace from my non-local-interactive machine.

Regards,

  Geller Sandor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>