Jon Smirl wrote:
AGP 8x should just be able to keep up with 1280x1024x24b 60 times/sec.
AGP 4x should be enough. Remember I got 600MB/s max throughput. Not with
24bit textures though, the Mesa RGBA-BGRA conversion takes WAY too much
time to achieve that.

How does mesa access AGP memory from the CPU side? AGP memory is system memory which the AGP makes visible to the GPU. Are we using the GPU to load textures into AGP memory or is it being done entirely
on the main CPU with a memcopy?
depends on driver. radeon/r200 use gpu blit. Might be suboptimal but at
least it handles things like tiling (when the gpu blitter can do it) automatically. I'm not sure but couldn't the radeon blitter actually do rgba-bgra conversion too for instance?

For things like a movie player we should even be able to give it a pointer to the texture in system memory(AGP space) and let it directly manipulate the texture buffer. Doing that would require playing with the page tables to preserve protection.
This seems exactly to be what the client extension of the r200 driver is intended for. But for normal apps, it's useless (and for the most part even for apps which could make good use of it, since it's an extension almost noone uses anyway).

Roland