On 6/21/05, Vladimir Dergachev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Exactly.  v4l is basically just an analog video capture API.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a v4l compatible interface to the radeon
> > capture interface for AIW and VIVO cards; this would require the drm
> > as well.  That's another potential user.
>
> The radeon v4l driver "km" is now maintained and developed by Antti Ajanki.
>
> The cooperation of drm is needed for acknowledging interrupts, otherwise
> they are pretty much orthogonal - km uses RADEON_GUI_DMA registers for
> transfers from video memory to system ram.

I'm working towards a model where there are multiple device specific drivers:

radeonfb/fbdev - lowest layer binds to PCI ID, interupts, etc
radeon/DRM - coordinates things like memory management and interrupts
by linking to fbdev
km/v4L - would coordinate interrupts by tying into fbdev like DRM

fbdev, DRM, v4L all expose their own device nodes. It should be safe
for a normal user to access any of these device nodes instead of
requiring root.

A variation on the model is:
radeon_base
radeonfb/fbdev
radeon/DRM
km/v4L

radeon_base is a platform the other drivers load on top of.
It is constructed by splitting the existing radeonfb.

--
Jon Smirl