On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 18:44 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >         3) Share buffers with a reference counting scheme.  When a client
> > notices the buffer needs a resize, do the resize and adjust refcounts -
> > other clients continue with the older buffer.  What happens when a
> > client on the older buffer calls swapbuffers -- I'm sure we can figure
> > out what the correct behaviour should be.
>
> 3) Sounds like the best solution and it's basically what I'm
> proposing.

I agree, it looks like this can provide the benefits of shared
drawable-private renderbuffers (support for cooperative rendering
schemes, no waste of renderbuffer resources) without compromising the
general benefits of private renderbuffers.

> The DRI driver interface changes I'm proposing here should not be
> affected by these issues though.  Detecting that the buffers changed
> and allocating and attaching new ones is entirely between the DRI
> driver and the DRM.  When we're ready to add the TTM functionality to
> a driver we add the new createNewScreen entry point I mentioned and
> that's all we need to change.  So, in other words, I believe we can
> move forward with this merge while we figure out the semantics of the
> resizing-while-rendering case.

Meanwhile though, these changes already drop support for existing
loaders, right? That's rather inconvenient for AIGLX, not so much for
libGL. I don't suppose it would be reasonably possible to retain support
for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727, at least until there's an xserver
release that supports the new one? If not, I wonder if it might be worth
holding off a bit longer until the changes will provide real benefits
such as new GLX features, as otherwise they would seem to require
inter-component lockstep for little gain.

Apart from that, the changes look good to me, with one exception:
b068af2f3b890bec26a186e9d0bdd3d44c17cd4d ('Key drm_i915_flip_t typedef
off of the ioctl #define instead.'). DRM_IOCTL_I915_FLIP was already
defined before drm_i915_flip_t and friends were introduced.