On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 10:36 +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:

> >> Yes, I'm just interested to understand what happens when one of the
> >> clients on the old, orphaned buffer calls swapbuffers...  All the
> >> buffers should be swapped, right?  Large and small? How does that work?
> >>
> >> If the answer is that we just do the swap on the largest buffer, then
> >> you have to wonder what the point of keeping the smaller ones around
> >> is?
> >
> > To make 3D drivers nice and simple by not having to deal with fun stuff
> > like cliprects? :)
>
> Understood.  I'm thinking about a further simplification - rather than
> keep the old buffers around after the first client requests a resize,
> just free them.

I see, but how would that work? If it hasn't happened yet, the plan
seems to be to make BOs strictly reference counted. No matter who
creates the new renderbuffers, some clients may keep the old ones
referenced until they catch up. If it's still somehow possible to avoid
wasting resources in this case, that would be nice, but otherwise it
seems like too much of a corner case to worry about.