On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:59:39 +0200
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of skimming through the 3D programming documentation
> of the r6xx chips. AMD announced on XDC 2008 to make it public, so it
> will show up pretty soon. It's one massive beast, more than 650 pages...
>
> Obviously, the first step to get 3D working on r6xx is to update the
> radeon DRM to support these chips, and I think I've understood enough
> now to start working on this thing. I assume working in a public user
> repro is the best way to collaborate, but I'd be fine working in a
> branch on the main repro or just sending patches, just what fits best.
>
> r6xx looks substantially different than previous chipsets, but I think
> it still fits into the radeon driver. If it turns out that for exposing
> additional features and using DRI2 it's better to split out parts, that
> can be decided later on.
>
> Any comments on advancing here, or pitfalls to avoid? Has anybody
> already some ideas how to restructure things if necessary?
>
> So long
>
> Matthias

Well i don't know anythings about r6xx but for radeon i was discussing
with Dave a plan to add a new ioctl to submit packet in new cleaner way
so that we can reuse current mesa driver with future memory manager enabled
legacy free radeon drm module. The plan is basicly to send well formated
packet to the ioctl and to take advantage of nop packet or add new unknow
packet type transformed into nop by drm to sneak in additional information
that will be needed latter (when using a memory manager). I don't know when
i will have time to tackle this, i always have great hope of doing it soon
but each time my day end i am just totaly exhausted.

So my only advice/wishes :) is that you start from somethings like that
ie not and ioctl where you submit packet inside a container structure
but directly a buffer which can be parsed by hw. Maybe this can make
cmd checking code a little bit more complexe but i don't think so.

so ioctl should looks like cmd(int ndword, uint32_t *packet_stream)

Oh and have fun with r6xx =)

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>