On Jun 05, 08 00:36:12 +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> Well i don't know anythings about r6xx but for radeon i was discussing
> with Dave a plan to add a new ioctl to submit packet in new cleaner way
> so that we can reuse current mesa driver with future memory manager enabled
> legacy free radeon drm module. The plan is basicly to send well formated

That sounds *very* interesting. I guess this was only a quick first
discussion, so there probably isn't any hard evidence (read: code or
text ;) to share...

> packet to the ioctl and to take advantage of nop packet or add new unknow
> packet type transformed into nop by drm to sneak in additional information
> that will be needed latter (when using a memory manager). I don't know when

What information would that be? The equivalence of texture / surface /
memory region numbers?

I don't know whether abusing NOPs for that is actually the right idea,
though.

> i will have time to tackle this, i always have great hope of doing it soon
> but each time my day end i am just totaly exhausted.

... I wonder why already feel the pain...

> So my only advice/wishes :) is that you start from somethings like that
> ie not and ioctl where you submit packet inside a container structure
> but directly a buffer which can be parsed by hw. Maybe this can make
> cmd checking code a little bit more complexe but i don't think so.

Why do you think it would be problematic to have a new ioctl with a
container structure? Not that I intend to do anything TTM/GEM related
ATM, but I'm curious.

> Oh and have fun with r6xx =)

Thnx :)

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]