On 20.07.2008 19:32, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> Howdy. I was just going through the r3xx/r5xx bugs, and I noticed that
> lots of problems are related to certain texture compression features
> being dependent on out-of-tree code. I also noticed that, at least on
> R400+ Radeons, we actually have hardware support for such compression,
> and I thought that was the case on certain nVidia chipsets, too.
>
> My question is, does anybody know the status on S3TC/DXTC/etc., and if
> it's still owned by S3/VIA, and if they might be interested in opening it?
>
> ...Oh, I guess that's three questions. :3
>
> ~ C.

What do you mean with "have hardware support for such compression"? Even
very old r100 (and chips from other IHVs) have support for it. But they
only have hardware support for decompression, not compression which is
what you'd need too for OpenGL conformance. I'd be surprised to hear
R400 can do compression. I know it's possible to do online-compression
on new hardware with shaders, but I think it might require more like
R600 class hardware. And it probably wouldn't change anything, since
you'd just implement the same algorithm on the gpu instead of the cpu
(it still would be software-based implementation).

Roland