On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Eric Anholt wrote:

> Yeah, none of us are on x86-64, so we missed those warnings in testing.

Really? None of you use any modern CPU's, or you're _all_ running 32-bit
distros even though your cpu's could support 64-bit ones?

I would suggest at least _somebody_ in the intel graphics team try to get
with the times.. I realize that Otellini was saying "Nobody needs 64-bit
on the desktop" a few years ago, but he was full of sh*t then, and it's
certainly not remotely true now.

It's not being disloyal to your CEO, really. I'm pretty sure nobody will
be fired just for ignoring that whole "640kB^H^H^H^H^H32-bits should be
enough for everybody" idiocy.

> The change looks pretty good except for s/return 1/return 0/.

oops, yes. Thinko. I reversed the meaning of the return value: at first I
just returned "unwritten", but decided that that was a really ugly
interface, and then when I prettied that up, I didn't fix the !HIGHMEM
case. And I obviously never _tested_ it.

                        Linus