On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 10:00 +0200, Enno Fennema wrote:
> In the absence of much activity on the user list I come for assistance
> here,
>
> I fail miserably in my first attempt to write a direct rendering client.
> I think DRI is properly installed on my system, at least glxinfo
> confirms Direct rendering: Yes.
>
> As a first step I just want to draw a trangle in a window.
> My program initializes all kind of things but when it comes to make
> something current I get probably confused between all contexts and
> windows/drawables or missed some vital step.
>
> Is there anywhere a tutorial that tells me how to write a DRI client
> program (not how to compile and install DRI) or a very simple program
> that I could have a look at.
>
> Appreciate any pointers.
> Enno Fennema

DRI is a protocol which is here to allow X GL client to directly
talk with GL driver and GL driver to talk with X to know where
to render. It's not intended to be used by anyone else beyond
GL driver or X server.

What you want is simply a GL application and there is tons of
example out there on how to do one, you could also find examples
in mesa/progs/* mese/progs/trivial/tri-* for instance show how
to render a simple triangle. So GL app will talk to GL driver
which will use DRI on your computer if it's enabled.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse