Jerome Glisse wrote:
> Why do you want to use XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable ?
I only called XF86...Capable to confirm that the software recognized my
video card as *capable* of direct rendering.

> glXIsDirect tells you what you want to know ie if it's direct
> or not.
Correct, glXDirect tells me the context is or is not *using* direct
rendering.

> I don't understand what you are trying to do here, you shouldn't
> care to know if direct rendering is enabled or not, applications
> shouldn't behave differently if DRI is enabled or not.

I thought direct rendering is faster than indirect as it avoids the
translation from OpenGL to the X protocol and then back again. The
difference in application behaviour is then only speed but it my case
the difference is 'crash' or 'works ok'.

Another question is why should I specify direct/indirect in
glXCreateContext if there is no reason to care.

My longer term aim is to understand what my Radeon SE9200 can and cannot
do. Mesa is so clever that it hides by software when hardware is
deficient. I think that only by getting access to the the drm kernel
driver can I start exploring the hardware.

As John Bridgman wrote DRI might be useful too for non-GL applications,
which do want contact with the X server not to clobber other windows but
otherwise would like to access non-GL capabilities of the hardware or GL
capabilities in a differnt way.

Radeon documentation is possibly available but under non disclosure
conditions which I do not want to accept. At least I found very little
publicly available.

In the short run I try to understand a bit better how DRI manages the
relation ships between X windows, those that GLXWindows and, maybe an
impossible animal, a DRM Window, which shows consideration for other X
windows.

Regards,
Enno