All,

As a Committer, I'm going to go ahead and step out on limb here, and
admit that I agree with most of what has been put forth by both Dorothea
and Christophe.  That being said, I'm not claiming to speak on behalf of
all the Committers :)

I would *love* a more beautified DSpace...a clean, "flashy", web-2.0
interface, a modular system that is easy to extend via plugins/add-ons,
an *easy* way to share/install those plugins/add-ons between
institutions, and an *easy* way to upgrade core DSpace (without merge
nightmares between your local hacks/customizations and the features of
the new version).

I'm also in full support of working towards better needs assessment.
But, at the same time, a part of me feels that different institutions
will have some different needs based on how they are using of DSpace.
So, in the end, allowing for easy extensions/modules, and easy sharing
of these community-developed features is a great way to go.

That being said, I'd like to mention just a few things to look forward
to with 1.5 and beyond:

1) I believe there will be vast strides to beautifying DSpace UI, once
we all get our hands on Manakin in 1.5 (many thanks to Scott P & all at
Texas A&M).  The modularity within Manakin should also allow us to all
develop new an interesting Themes & Aspects, which should be much more
shareable amongst institutions. (But, we also need to find a place to
actually post these for sharing!)

2) I believe that our move towards the Maven build system (thanks to
Mark D) with 1.5 will be a huge step in the right direction for better
modularity within DSpace, and better separation between the core API and
various Interfaces (Manakin, JSP, OAI-PMH, LNI, etc.).  There are still
a few kinks here, but we're learning quickly and attempting to make
things easier to manage as separate modules (and also easier to
upgrade!).  The goal here is to hopefully help allow community-developed
customizatins/add-ons to flourish and not be a continual pain in
managing/updating.  In addition, we want to make them more easily
shareable between institutions (i.e. without the pain of merging local
code, etc.).  I'm not claiming this will all be figured out or 100%
perfect in 1.5...but, it is a goal I'm hoping we can get to by 1.6 or
2.0 (or whatever comes after 1.5).

As a Committer, I also feel obligated to mention that the Committers are
  all volunteers.  We are working hard to make DSpace better for all of
us, but there's only so much we can do (and largely our development work
is defined by our the individual interests of the institutions which pay
our salaries).  Therefore, DSpace is still dependent on new
features/ideas/functionality being proposed & developed/prototyped by an
active user community.  The Committers may be able to step in and help
out (when their institutions allow), but I believe an active community
is still necessary.  Remember, the Committers are often just
highly-active community members!  Case in point: I was only asked to
become a Committer after my giving back to the community (in the form of
DSpace tutorials and Q&A on listservs), as well as the large amount of
work in designing, re-designing & developing the Configurable Submission
(which my institution allowed me the opportunity to take on).

I'm really glad to see these discussions taking place!  It means we do
have people in the community who care strongly about DSpace and are
willing to share their opinions and suggestions for moving forward.  I
encourage you to continue to help drive DSpace in the right direction!

Ok...that's my diatribe or rather long $0.02 :)

- Tim

Christophe Dupriez wrote:
> Hi !
>
> At PoisonCentre.be, we use DSpace for scientific (medical) information
> collection, organisation and internal re-publication, e.g. Knowledge
> sharing (not ETDs)!
>
> I find rather funny that this discussion occurs in the technical thread
> and not the general one.
> The technicities are the reasons we meet, the subjects vary!
>
> I share most of Dorothea opinions.
>
> I strongly support the creation of a DSpace group for user needs assesment.
> The output of this group should be:
> 1) use cases,
> 2) value of thoses use cases for the institutions we represent,
> 3) essential "user side" characteristics of the corresponding
> functionalities those uses cases imply.
>
>  From there:
> 1) a "designer board" could propose functionalities (no buzzwords!) to
> fulfill those needs.
> 2) developpers would be invited to find "mentors" within the users
> groups and to produce a prototype.
> 3) User group would then discuss prototypes results and would choose
> those that must be worked further for inclusion in DSpace trunk.
> 4) Committers would work on "mature prototypes" (user proof) to make
> them 100% compliant to DSpace architecture and coding standards.
>
> IMHO, this process should be tightly driven by the Foundation and
> financed by institutions taking advantage of DSpace know how, technology
> and emulation.
>
> It seems to me that project IDEALS is an example of this:
> https://services.ideals.uiuc.edu/wiki/bin/view/IDEALS/RequirementsProduction
>

> An example of the "users requirements" challenges we could achieve for
> DSpace:
> http://www.vufind.org/
> http://zoombox.gmu.edu/vufind/
>
> For my institution, I need now to fulfill the challenge of crosslinking
> different DSpace instances (or collections) to have one serve as an
> authority list for some fields of others (and to use those relations in
> searches).
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Christophe Dupriez
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Dorothea Salo a écrit :
>> On Nov 13, 2007 1:23 PM, Susan Teague Rector <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Our debate here is centered on future support of ETDs in DSpace. We've
>>> had to do quite a bit of customization to support ETDs (thank goodness
>>> for Tim Donahue's code :)! Does anyone know if there are future plans to
>>> better support ETDs in DSpace?
>>>

>> With the understanding that I'm not a DSpace committer and not
>> involved in any way with DSpace or the DSpace Foundation except as
>> DSpace user and occasional bug or patch submitter...
>>
>> My sense is that DSpace development has only vaguely and loosely been
>> guided by real-world use cases not arising from its inner circle of
>> contributing institutions. E.g., repeated emails to the tech and dev
> [...]

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://www.ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648