"7. Your 'localized' JSPs (those in jsp/local) now need to be maintained in the source directory. If you have locally modified JSPs in your [dspace]/jsp/local directory, you will need to merge the changes in the new 1.4.x versions into your locally modified ones. You can use the diff command to compare your JSPs against the 1.4.x
versions to do this."

My understanding is that the thrust of the first sentence is just to reiterate "never edit files in the web deployment directory." That is, [dspace-source]/jsp/local is a source directory, though not a "src" directory.

When I read the rest of the above, I interpreted it to mean that local changes should go into [dspace-source]/jsp/local, but that you can't simply copy over your changed files from 1.3.2 into a 1.4.2 installation, or from 1.4.2 into 1.5.x. You need to re-implement your changes on top of the new files, but continue to put local changes into jsp/local rather than modifying jsp