On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 08:35:26AM -0800, Mark Diggory wrote:
> My largest concerns with migrating to git are:
>
> 1.) We originally moved to the current svn platform at OSL so we could have
> fine grained control over repository ACL permissions, keep all the work in
> one repository still and create a more diverse committer group for DSpace.

How would Git conflict with this?

> 2.) We also moved to this structure to be able to break apart the core
> dspace project into separate interdependent modules/addons.

How would Git conflict with this?

> Per (2), by modularizing we are trying to get fewer DSpace repositories
> dependent on having to merge deep individual changes to core DSpace files
> like Item.java, (IE anything in a *-api" module).  I am concerned that an
> environment such as GIT actually would promote more end developers changing
> "core code" in their repository deployments,

How would Git do that?

I don't mean, at this point, to advocate for or against Git.  I just
don't see how it has any strong connection with the concerns quoted
above.  What am I missing?

I do feel that, at some point, it would be good to move to a
distributed SCM.  (I was backing Mercurial, but I can adapt.  I don't
know hg that well either.)  It seems to me that this would make it
easier for new contributors to join in.

There *is* need to provide some structure around a distributed SCM.
Git, for example, was developed to manage the evolution of the Linux
kernel, which is huge and regularly worked on by dozens or perhaps
hundreds.  We'd do well to study how it's used in that context.  It's
not a free-for-all, though it is open to all.

The one problem that I do see is that it will take time for some of us
[raises hand] to get up to speed on Git, and that will (for a while)
take time away from what we can spend on DSpace.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Balance your desire for bells and whistles with the reality that only a