Quick note here: from the tone of some of these emails, it seems like
we've suddenly jumped from "look how others are using Git" to "DSpace
should move to Git/GitHub".

My previous email about Fedora Developers voting on whether or not to
move to using GitHub should not be seen as a recommendation that DSpace
also should move that way. I was just trying to make everyone aware of a
discussion about Git going on with the Fedora developers.

That being said, it's perfectly fine for this discussion to take place
about pros/cons of Git/GitHub for DSpace development.  However, I'd
encourage this discussion to move over to 'dspace-devel', as it's a more
appropriate location -- others are free to join the discussion over there.

Just want to put this all back in context. :)

Personally, I'm just interested in seeing whether Fedora makes the
switch (seems like the vote is still heavily in favor) and what their
experiences look like.  We can still continue to brainstorm out whether
or not it would be worthwhile for DSpace. Right now, I'm personally not
sure. It seems like an interesting idea, but it would obviously require
much more discussion/analysis before making any decisions. There's no
reason to make such a "jump" unless the majority of us are on the same
page, and feel there are real benefits (and no large disadvantages).  In
the meantime, individual developers are obviously welcome to pull DSpace
code into GitHub for their own purposes, or just to play around (I may
actually try that out one of these days myself).

After 1.7.0 is out the door, we could always schedule a Special Topic
meeting to discuss Git/GitHub in more detail, if we felt we wanted to.

Feel free to continue discussion -- just wanted to recommend it move to
dspace-devel as we dig deeper.

- Tim