On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM, helix84 <heli...@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Francis Kayiwa
> <francis.kay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> No matter which of the following I go to oai, sword, jspui, xmlui I
>> get a 404 resource not found.
>
> Now we're getting somewhere!
>
> What's connectors do you have enabled in server.xml? Do you actually
> have a connector on port 8080?
>
>     <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>

> I assume you do, otherwise this wouldn't work:
>
>> Tomcat starts. When I install tomcat6-webapps and rename ROOT.xml in
>> the contexts to _notROOT.xml it displays the "It Works" Tomcat page.
>
> So the problem would be that Tomcat is running, but for some reason
> doesn't give access to the DSpace webapps.
>
> Did you know that there are actually 2 ways to specify context? One is
> in server.xml and the other one is using so colled context fragments,
> xml files in Catalina/localhost/  Which approach are you using?
> Because you forst mentioned
>
>> We tried to enter the
>> directly on server.xml
>
> and then you mentioned ROOT.xml, which is one of the context
> fragments. The problem might be that you're trying to combine both.
>
> Also, there are 2 logs, one is the tomcat log (last log is always in
> catalina.out) and the other one is [dspace]/log/dspace.log. To debug
> why a webapp doesn't load you need to look at the Tomcat log. Try
> looking there again. If you can't make heads or tails of it, send the
> relevant part (after restart) as an attachment.

Sorry for not being clear. I followed the instruction in the manual
initially and placed the Contexts within server.xml

When it failed to work and while looking about I came across

http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg13335.html

and I attempted the second one with the same results. So yes I have
done both and you read that correctly. This is the result of my
catalina.out

tail /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out
Oct 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/sword]
has not been started
Oct 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/dspace-oai]
has not been started
Oct 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/solr]
has not been started
Oct 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/] has
not been started
Oct 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

./fxk

--
"Beer busts, beer blasts, keggers, stein hoists, A.A. meetings, beer
nights..." --Homer Simpson