Barry A. Wilson wrote:

> OK Nate,
>
> You almost confused me in your below example. so just so others
> understand.
>
> The YOUR: Your call sign in your example should actually be represented
> by MY: My Call

Maybe.  My IC-91 calls it that though.

They're in the exact order they are put into the IC-91AD, IC-92AD, and
IC-2820... so it shouldn't have been too hard to figure out.  (ID-800H
users, don't worry -- I feel your pain.  I have one of those, too.)

> Your Call is always the called stations call sign or CQCQCQ. not to be
> confused with your own call.

That's "UR" in my examples, yes.  In the same order they're programmed
into the IC-91AD, IC-92AD... (yadda yadda)...

> So I suggest we always refer to the other guys call in examples by YOUR
> Call (UR:) and our own call sign by MY Call (MY:) !!!

This is the example format I've been using for the entire time I've been
doing D-STAR examples, and the way they are on even our own local
website.  This is the first anyone's been confused by it?

> It is also always good to refer users to the D-STAR
> <http://www.dstarinfo.com/Calculator/DSTAR%20Web%20Calculator.aspx
> <http://www.dstarinfo.com/Calculator/DSTAR%20Web%20Calculator.aspx>>
> Calculator so they can enter in the information and get back the correct
> call routing.
>
> Learning how to use the calculator will most likely lend itself to a better
> understanding of what call routing is all about to the user.

Maybe.  Better yet, learn Icom-style callsign routing first, THEN start
playing with DPlus Linking later.  (Which is not what's typically
happening with most new users these days, so they're often completely
confused.)

"Build from a foundation..." like any knowledge.  The ARRL VHF Digital
Handbook has nice examples, if you can get over the fact that they got
the callsigns themselves backward in a number of them.  (Oops.)

I guess it's just not intuitive for anyone other than data routing
folks... to me, the whole callsign routing things has always made
"sense".  Not hard to learn at all, once you know the "rules" of how the
"routers" (Gateways) work.

I want to ROUTE my voice from "here" to "there", is how I think of all
of it all.  Works for me.

Nate WY0X